Pierre Paradis (1604 - 1675) and Barbe Guyon (1617 - 1700)


The French word "paradis" means paradise, a beautiful, delightful place. Perhaps the original Paradis in France acquired his surname because he lived in, or near, a beautiful, delightful location or, perhaps, because he played a certain role in the old mystery or miracle plays.

There is, reportedly, record of a Paradis living in the town of Mortagne-au-Perche, France, circa 1575. This "first" Paradis is the starting point of our direct line ancestors for which there is a known record. We do not have any factual information concerning the forebears of this "first" Paradis.

 

The town of Mortagne-au-Perche is located in northern France, about 130 kilometers west of Paris. Mortagne-au-Perche was the capital of the old French province of Perche. The relatively small province of Perche was bounded on the north by the province of Normandie, on the west by Maine, on the south by Orléanais and on the east by the province of Île-de-France. In the 17th century, the Perche was the province of France where some of the most old families of Québec originated: Aubin, Baril, Beaulac, Bouchard, Boucher, Cloutier, Drouin, Gagnon, Giguère, Guyon, Lambert, Landry, Leduc, Lefebvre, Mercier, Pelletier, Rivard, Tremblay and numerous others. The name Perche has not been used in France for over two centuries. Today, the province of Perche is part of the Department of Orne.

 



If the direct line ancestors of this "first" Paradis lived in the province of Perche, or in nearby northern provinces such as Normandie, Maine or Île-de-France, they would have encountered the slaughter and the destruction of the Hundred Years War. This intermittent war between the French and the Eng1ish began in 1337 and ended in 1453. It was fought, primarily, in the north and west of France. During the Hundred Years War, the province of Perche was overrun by the Eng1ish from about 1424 to 1449. When the Hundred Years War ended in 1453 the English had been expelled from all of France, except for the port of Calais. So it must be assumed that any direct line forebears of the "first" Paradis who may have lived in the northern part of France were lucky or strong enough to have withstood the devastation of the Hundred Years War.
 

The "First" Paradis - Circa 1575

Although little is known about the "first" Paradis, the town of Mortagne-au-Perche in which he lived experienced the onslaughts of the eight intermittent Wars of Religion which were fought between the Catholics and the Huguenots during the 31 years 1562 through 1593. During these religious wars Mortagne-au-Perche was taken, pillaged and recaptured more than twenty times by the opposing sides. These wars finally subsided in 1593 when Henry of Navarre, the Huguenot leader, adopted the Catholic faith as a prelude to his coronation as Henry IV, King of France, in 1594. The Edict of Nantes in 1598 gave some religious and political rights to the Huguenots.

 

Jacques Paradis - Circa 1599

Apparently the "first" Paradis in Mortagne-au-Perche survived the Wars of Religion. It is understood that this "first" Paradis had sons, one of whom was named Jacques, born in 1574 in France. He was a Coutelier. Reportedly, records show that this Jacques Paradis lived in Mortagne-au-Perche, in the parish of Notre-Dame, from about 1602 through 1612. In 1616 he was the owner of a cutlery making shop in Loisé, on the outskirts of Mortagne-au-Perche, in the parish of Saint-Germain-de-Loyse. On July 10 of the same year, Jacques signed a 3 year lease with the Cobbler Louis Girard, for a living room with storage loft above the chamber where the lessor is residing, with a shop off to one side for the lessor.


Jacques Paradis married Michelle Pellé, circa 1599, in Mortagne-au-Perche. They had seven children; one of who was the Pierre Paradis who eventually immigrated to New-France, and who in this write-up is designated as Canadian generation number one, our first ancestor in Canada.

The seven children of Jacques and Michelle, all of whom were baptized in the parish of Notre-Dame in Mortagne-au-Perche, are as follows: Jacques baptized on 04 March 1600, Guillaume (or Guilliam) on 20 July 1602, Pierre on 20 July 1604 (born that same day), Jeanne on 15 October 1606, Florian on 26 June 1612, and, probably, Marie (buried on August 12, 1644) and Marguerite.

Pierre Paradis (Canadian Generation No. 1) - 20 July 1604 - 29 January 1675

The province of Perche had been noted, since early times, for its extensive forests and for being the source of seven sizable rivers which had a plentiful supply of fish. In addition to these assets, iron ore was eventually discovered in the hills near the town of Tourouvre, about 15 kilometers to the north of Mortagne-au-Perche. Near the end of the 15th century, Perche's assets of iron ore, forests, and rivers for waterpower were being utilized in forges to produce pig iron. This manufacturing activity attracted skilled tradesmen to the town of Mortagne-au-Perche and to the surrounding areas.

When Pierre Paradis lived in Mortagne-au-Perche in the 17th century, it was a walled town located on hills overlooking nearby valleys. Today, the town has spread beyond its old walls and it has a population of about 5000 people. Dairy farming and stock raising are practiced in the surrounding region and the countryside is noted for its Pertain breed of heavy draft horses.


Little is known of the early life of Pierre in Mortagne-au-Perche other than that he probably learned his trade of cutler in the cutlery shop of his father, Jacques Paradis.

 

Pierre Marries Barbe Guyon

 

On 11 February 1632 (some state 11 February 1633), Pierre Paradis married Barbe Guyon, in the parish of Saint-Jean, Mortagne-au-Perche, Orne, France. Barbe Guyon was from that area. She was baptized on 19 April 1617 in the same parish. Obviously Barbe was much younger than her husband.

 

Guyon Ancestry

 

Barbe Guyon was the eldest daughter of Jean Guyon and Mathurine Robin. Jean Guyon, the father of Barbe Guyon, was born on 15 September 1592 and baptized on 18 September 1592 in the parish of Saint-Aubin de Tourouvre, Perche, France. He died on 30 May 1663 in Beauport, Québec, Canada. He married Mathurine Robin on 2 June 1615 in Saint-Jean de Mortagne, Sées, Perche, France. Mathurine Robin was born in 1601 in Saint-Jean de Mortagne, Sées, Perche, France. She died on 16 April 1662 in Beauport, Québec, Canada. Mathurine Robin and Jean Guyon were married on 2 June 1615 in Saint-Jean de Mortagne, Sées, Perche, France. Mathurine’s father was Eustache Robin who was born about 1566 in Saint-Jean de Mortagne, Perche, France. Eustache married Madeleine Avrard in 1590 in Saint-Jean de Mortagne, Perche, France. Madeleine Avrard was born about 1570 in Saint-Jean de Mortagne, Perche, France.

 

Barbe’s grandfather on her father's side was Jacques Guyon, born on 06 January 1562 in Saint-Aubin de Tourouvre, Perche, France. He died on 23 September 1623 in Saint-Aubin de Tourouvre, Perche, France. Jacques Guyon married Marguerite Huet on 15 April 1583 in Perche, Orne, France. Marguerite Huet was born on 05 June 1568 in Saint-Aubin de Tourouvre, Perche, France. She died on 26 February 1626 in Perche, Orne, France.

 

Jean Guyon's godfathers were Jean Collin and Pierre Dolivet, and his godmother was Catherine Goddin. Jean was a farmer, notary and master mason. He eventually moved from Tourouvre to Mortagne-au-Perche and married Mathurine Robin on 12 June 1615 in the parish of Saint-Jean-de-Mortagne. Their eldest daughter, Barbe Guyon, was baptized on 19 April 1617 in Mortagne-au-Perche, in the parish of Saint-Jean.

 

It may be of interest to note that on Barbe Guyon's wedding day her trousseau included the following: six sheets, a feather bed with a canopy, bedclothes, curtains, six tablecloths, twelve serviettes, an expandable table, two chairs, four stools, six porringers, six plates, together with numerous pots and cups. Barbe's parents gave her 30 livres on her wedding day and undertook to give her 90 livres each year.

 

Life in France

The family of Pierre Paradis gave him the use, for six years, of all the tools and instruments needed in his trade of cutler and the right, if the bride and groom desired, to dwell in the Paradis house in Mortagne-au-Perche during the lifetime of Pierre's mother. (Pierre's father, Jacques, had died by the time that Barbe and Pierre were married).

 

From 1634 to 1642, Pierre and his wife Barbe lived in Mortagne-au-Perche in the parish of Notre-Dame. It should be said that Barbe's parents left France for Canada as part of the first group of pioneers to emigrate to Beauport. Her father Jean Guyon sailed from France on 14 March 1634 and arrived in New-France on 4 June 1634 where he was employed by Robert Giffard as a mason. Guyon's wife and most of his children did not arrive in New-France until about a year later. He owned the back concession of a freehold piece of land called DuBuisson in Beauport. This land was later inherited by his son, also named Jean. However Barbe did not leave with the rest of the Guyon family, but instead stayed in France with her husband Pierre. They did not travel with her parents because Barbe was expecting her first baby about that time.

 

Pierre Paradis, now an armorer according to Mme. Pierre Mortagne, lived at first at Notre-Dame-de-Mortagne, then at Saint-Croix in 1643. The following children of Pierre and Barbe were baptized at Mortagne-au-Perche in the parish of Notre-Dame: Charlotte on 04 April 1634 but who died young, Marguerite on 05 February 1636, Jacques on 24 March 1641, Marie in 1642 and Charles who died on 24 August 1643. In 1643, Pierre and Barbe moved to the parish of Saint-Croix in Mortagne-au-Perche, where the following children were baptized: Guillaume on 26 September 1644; Pierre on 02 October 1647; and finally, the last born in France in November 1650 was Jean, the first of two sons by that name. He died at Charlesbourg in 1717. There were many mouths to feed, many minds to educate.

 

Pierre continued to practice his trade of cutler, in Mortagne-au-Perche, until 1651. A notary of Tourouvre, Jacques Douaire, prepared a receipt for Pierre Paradis, merchant of Mortagne, Parish of Loyse, dated 4 June 1640. It seems that a certain Claude Bailly, resident of Tourouvre, had ordered on 11 February 1640 that 200 sickles to be delivered on the feast of Saint-Jean-Baptiste. Pierre Paradis delivered them on 4 June, that is to say 20 days sooner, a success!

 

Emigration to Canada

 

But in 1651, Pierre and Barbe decided to immigrate to New-France. This decision was influenced, undoubtedly, by the fact that Jean Guyon, Barbe's father, as noted above had left France with the rest of his family in 1634 to participate in the establishment of a settlement at Beauport, in New-France.

 

The Seigneury of Beauport had been conceded by the Company of the Hundred Associates, on 15 January 1634, to Robert Giffard, who was a physician and a long-time friend of Jean Guyon. Thus, Robert Giffard became the first Seigneur of Beauport. The Seigneury of Beauport was located on the north bank of the Saint-Lawrence River, near the confluence of the Beauport River and the Saint-Lawrence River, about 5 kilometers east of the settlement at Québec. This Seigneury extended about 4 1/2 kilometers along the north bank of the Saint-Lawrence River and it had a depth of about 6 1/2 kilometers, for a total area of about 7,000 acres, or about 3,000 hectares.

 

Portrait of the Seigneur of Beauport

 

The first seigneur in New-France, Robert Giffard, fits well historian Marcel Trudel's definition of the seigneurs as "promoters of colonization." He was born at Auteuil, in the old French province of Perche, about 1589. He established himself in the Québec region from 1620 or 1622. He had followed several occupations in his native country, but it was as a ship's surgeon that he made his first crossing of the Atlantic, doing so as one of the followers of Guillaume de Caen, Esquire General (royal superintendent) of the fleet of New-France.

 

A few years later, he is mentioned as proprietor of a log cabin he had built at a place he called La Canardière (today Limoilou.) On the twenty-fourth of March, 1627, just a few weeks before the founding of the Company of One Hundred Associates, he was called to Paris by Guillaume de Caen. There, before the king's attorney general, he gave the following description of a country he solemnly swore he knew at first hand,

 

... for that I have been there and sojourned there for five or six years continuously, and have seen and do know that the Saint-Lawrence river can yield fifteen thousand beavers ...

 

The following February, Giffard returned to the Mortagne region of Perche and married Marie Regnouard. That spring he took passage again for New-France aboard one of the four vessels that had been chartered by the Company of One Hundred Associates. However, the fleet was detained on the eighth of July 1628 by the Kirke brothers, and the four hundred passengers aboard were shipped back to where they had come from.

 

On the fifteenth of January, 1634, Jean de Lauson, first Director General of the Company of One Hundred Associates and the future Governer of New-France, granted the man from Perche a fief that would come to be known as the Seigneurie of Beauport. The legal document by which this was done constituted the first acte de concession (deed of grant) issued by the Company for a seigneurie in New-France.

 

The governorate of Mortagne in Perche
 

The Governorate of Mortagne in Perche--Robert Giffard, the first seigneur in New-France, came to the Mortagne area to recruit his volunteers. These pioneers bore names that are still borne by the families they founded in the colony: Boucher, Cloutier, Côté, Drouin, Giroux, Grouvel [later Gravel], and Guyon [later Dion].


Jean Guyon becomes the Sieur of Buisson

 

On 03 February 1637, Jean Guyon obtained from his friend, Robert Giffard, title to the Fief of Buisson, consisting of 1000 square arpents of land (about 850 acres, or 340 hectares) in the Seigneury of Beauport. Thus, Jean Guyon became the Sieur of Buisson.

Unfortunately, we have not been able to determine the exact date on which Pierre, Barbe and five of their children left France for New-France, the port from which they sailed, the name of the ship, the length of the voyage across the Atlantic, or the date of their arrival at the settlement of Québec.

 

The last known record of Pierre and Barbe in Mortagne-au-Perche is a document, dated 20 March 1651, which records the sale of their house in the parish of Saint-Croix. He and his wife ceded to one P. Richard a little room with a cellar below. This was probably done in view of their imminent departure for New-France; because on 03 August 1653, they are seen baptizing their ninth child, Madeleine, before the font at the settlement of Québec. The record of that church blessing survives. It is therefore believed that Pierre, Barbe and five of their children (Jacques, Marie, Guillaume, Pierre and Jean) started their voyage to New-France sometime after 20 March 1651. Their two oldest children, Charlotte and Marguerite, remained in France for the rest of their lives.

The voyage to New-France probably took 60 to 70 days. Based on the above-mentioned baptismal certificate of Madeleine, Pierre and his family arrived at the settlement of Québec sometime before 03 August 1653. When the Paradis family arrived in New-France, Pierre was about 48 and Barbe was about 35 years old. The total population of New-France at that time was less than 1,000 people.

After Pierre and his family arrived at the settlement of Québec, they went to Beauport where Barbe's father, Jean Guyon, had settled on his Fief of Buisson about 18 years earlier. The present town of Beauport is located on the north bank of the Saint-Lawrence River, approximately 5 kilometers east of what is now the center of Québec City. From the summer of 1653 until the spring of 1654, Pierre and his family probably lived at Beauport with his father-in-law on the Fief of Buisson.

 

On March 9, 1654, Pierre Paradis, cutler and farmer-to-be, bought his first piece of land in New-France from Christopher Crevier. This land was located in the Seigneury of Notre-Dame des Anges, west of and adjacent to the Seigneury of Beauport. Pierre's property extended about 2 arpents along the north bank of the Saint-Lawrence River and it was about 24 arpents in depth, a total area of about 48 square arpents, some 40 acres, or 16 hectares. This land was bounded on one side by the farm of Pierre Lognon and on the other side by the land which Christopher Crevier had retained.

 

Pierre Paradis was a sincere and generous Christian. Jeanne Gregoire in her book La Source et le Filon reports this: "One religious ceremony is the distribution of the bread blessed by the priest signifying the participation of the faithful in the divine banquet...Pierre Paradis wished to offer something more...in the year 1657 he gave a large knife to cut the blessed bread."

 

The Québec national censuses of 1666 and 1667 list Pierre Paradis as being a master dressmaker in Beauport (couturier); however, his actual trade was as a knife maker (coutelier).

 

On 18 March 1667, thirteen years after the purchase of his first piece of land, Pierre bought half an arpent of land in the Seigneury of Notre-Dame des Anges from Jean Madry (or Maudry), the Sieur of the Fief of Grand Pré and surgeon to the King. Called "La Cabane-aux-Taupiers", it was not far from his first property. This small concession of half an arpent in frontage adjacent to Pierre's first land purchase. But there was a house with a garden and a number of outbuildings, incuding a stable and a 30 foot barn. Apparently Pierre and his family farmed their land successfully; the census of 1667 records that Pierre had 8 head of cattle and 12 square arpents of his land under cultivation in the Parish of Notre-Dame-des-Anges, not far from Beauport.

 

According to Notary Romain Becquet, on 7 February 1668, Intendant Jean Talon bought a piece of land that Pierre had acquired in 1654 some 76 perches by 18 feet, with the intention to build a road from Beauport to Charlesbourg. Pierre was well indemnified for this right of eminent domain. He received 40 livres in money plus a concession of 40 arpents of land in the new Bourg-Royal. He is the record:

 

Parchemin 7 February 1668 (Qc)
Becquet, R. (1665-1682)
Observation: Act without title.
Transaction between Jean Talon, counselor to the King in matters private and steward of justice, police and financial maters in New-France, for His Majesty, and Pierre Paradis and Barbe Guion, his spouse, of Our Lady of Angels.
Doc #: 16680207PA001012

 

Le Parchemin 7 Février 1668 (Qc)
Becquet, R. (1665-1682)
Observation: Acte sans intitulé.
Transaction entre Jean Talon, conseiller du Roi en ses conseils d'état et privé et intendant de justice, police et finances de la Nouvelle-France, stipulant pour Sa Majesté, et Pierre Paradis et Barbe Guion, son épouse, de Notre-Dame des Anges.
Doc #: 16680207PA001012


Children Born in New-France


Four additional children were born to Pierre and Barbe in New-France. They were all baptized at Notre-Dame-de-Québec in the settlement of Québec, as follows: Madeleine on 03 August 1653, Marie-Madeleine on 12 January 1655, Jean (born 1 July, their second son of that name) on 22 July 1658, and Louise on 07 August 1661. Thus, Pierre and Barbe had a total of 12 children; 8 of who were born in France and 4 of who were born in New-France. It is through their five sons, Jacques, Guillaume, Pierre, Jean and the second Jean (who was destined to become one of the most famous of all the ancestors) that the surname Paradis eventually spread throughout North America.
 

Move to the Île d'Orléans

 

During Pierre's latter days, when his health was failing, he and his wife Barbe went to live in Saint-Famille, on the Île d'Orléans, with their daughter Marie who had married Guillaume Baucher.

The Île d'Orléans is an island about 31 kilometers long and about 9 kilometers wide in the Saint-Lawrence River, located only some 7 kilometers east of Québec City. This island
became one of the earliest French settlements. The extensive shoreline offered fertile soils which were less arduous to clear for farmlands. Its lush landscapes soon became the Capital’s main supplier of fruits and vegetables. The forests on Île d’Orléans abounded with game, and the St. Lawrence with fish. The river also protected the settlers from Iroquois raids.

 

Over the years, more than 300 families settled on  Île d’Orléans. The first houses were made of wood or whitewashed stones, and usually had two rooms: a kitchen and a common room, which was also used for sleeping. Most of the island’s homes face south to ensure a maximum of sunshine and protection from the cold north wind. It is hardly surprising that Île d’Orléans is now known as the cradle of French civilization in North America.

Since the St. Lawrence River represented the main means of transportation for the island, islanders soon became experts in boating and navigation. By the late 17th century, many small shipyards had sprung up on the island. The beauty of the island’s churches now bear witness to the importance of spirituality in the hearts of its inhabitants.

River pilots

Islanders also became experts on what was known to be one of the world’s most difficult rivers to navigate. Pilots would meet European ships and guide them safely to St. Lawrence ports. Three sons and two daughters of Pierre and Barbe eventually settled on the Île d'Orléans, namely, Jacques, Pierre, Guillaume, Marie and Marie-Madeleine.

 

Last Will and Testament of Pierre Paradis

 

Pierre made out his will before Notary Becquet on 28 May 1670 when he was gravely ill in the Hotel-Dieu-de-Québec. He gave 20 livres to the hospital; 20 livres to the Chapel of the Jeusit fathers; 20 livres to the Church of Beauport; his wife Barbe Guyon was to inherit all else without reference to any other custom of inheritance. However Pierre survived his illness and lived for five more years. On 12 July 1672 it seems that he sold his Beauport property to Guillaume Bauche, his son-in-law.

 

Jetté reports this brave man died on 29 January 1675, in his 71st year, at Sainte-Famille on the Island of Orleans, Montmorency, Québec, where he was buried on that or the following day.

 

Barbe Guyon saw fit to hold an inventory of Pierre's personal property at Beauport, before Notary Paul Vachon, on the 3rd of April 1675. On 26 February 1679, Barbe sold all of the remaining Paradis property to Olivier Morel de la Durntaye. It seems that Barbe Guyon, the widow, lived for many years in the home of her daughter Marie, the wife of Guillaume Bauche, at Sainte-Famille on the I'lle-d'Orléans; it is there that we find her in the Québec national census of 1681. But later on, she must have lived at Saint-Pierre with one of her sons for Barbe died there on 27 November 1700, in her 84th year. She was buried in Saint-Pierre, Île d'Orléans, Québec on 29 November 1700.

 

What Happened to the Children?


It is believed that Pierre Paradis, farmer and cutler, is the ancestor of the Paradis families who now live in Canada and the United States. The genealogist C. Tanguay states that a Roland Paradis (1696-1754), who was a silversmith in Paris, also immigrated to New-France. However, it is believed that he died without leaving male descendants. By 1760, 85 years after the death of Pierre Paradis, there were about 60 families in Canada having the surname Paradis. The majority of these 60 families lived in and around Beauport, Charlesbourg, and Saint-Pierre Île d'Orléans, Lévis, Saint-Anne de Beaupré, Rivière-Ouelle, and,especially, Kamouraska. Today, there are many thousands of Paradis families living throughout North America.
 

As noted above, Pierre Paradis and Barbe Guyon had the following 12 children, 8 of whom were born in France and 4 at Beauport in the Fief of Buisson; 3 girls and a boy:

 

 

 

F

i

Charlotte Paradis was born on 04 April 1634 in Mortagne-aux-Perche, Orne, France. She was baptized that date in Notre-Dame de Mortagne-aux-Perch. She died on 24 Aug 1643 in Saint-Croix-de-Mortagne, Perche, Orne, France.

 

 

F

ii

Marguerite Paradis was born on 05 February 1636 in Mortagne-aux-Perche, Orne, France. She was baptized that date in Notre-Dame de Mortagne-aux-Perch.

 

Marguerite seems not to have come to Canada since there has been no trace of her in New-France even until today.

 

 

M

iii

Jacques Paradis was born 24 March 24, 1641 in Mortagne-aux-Perche, Orne, France. He was baptized that date in Notre-Dame de Mortagne-aux-Perch. He was rebaptized in 1675 in Saint-Famille, Île d'Orleans, Québec. He died and was buried on 10 March 1679 in Saint-Pierre, Île d'Orleans, Québec, Canada. He married Jeanne-Françoise Millouer on 30 October 1668 in Québec City, Canada. She was born 19 January 1653 in Beauport, Québec, Canada; baptized on 05 February 1653 in Beauport, Québec; and died 09 December 1700 in Saint-Pierre Île d'Orleans, Québec, Canada.

 

Jacques and his wife had a large family and their descendants are scattered throughout Québec and New England.

 

 

F

iv

Marie-Anne Paradis was born about 1642 in Notre-Dame de Mortagne-aux-Perche, France; died 15 December 1708 in Saint-Famille, Île d'Orléans, Québec, Canada; married Guillaume Boucher on 16 October 1656 in Notre-Dame parish, Québec City, Québec, Canada.

 

 

M

v

Charles Paradis was born on 12 August and baptized on 24 August 1643 in Notre-Dame de Mortagne-aux-Perche, Orne, France. He died on 24 August 1643 in in Saint-Crois de Montagne, Perche, France where he is also buried.

 

 

M

vi

Guillaume Paradis was born was born in Mortagne-au-Perche, France, and was baptized in the parish of Saint-Croix in Mortagne-aux-Perch on 26 September 1644. Guillaume came to New-France, at the age of nine, with his parents. He appeared in the 1690 Census when the European population of New-France was 11,500. He died 13 February 1716 in Saint-Pierre d'Orleans, Québec, Canada, and was also buried on that date there. Guillaume married Geneviève Millouer dit du Maine on 29 October 1670 in the chapel at Beauport, Notre-Dame parish, Québec City, P.Q., Canada. Geneviève Millouer dit duMaine was the daughter of Jean Millouer dit du Maine and Jeanne le Roy, of the town of Beauport. She was baptized on 06 April 1654 in Québec City, Québec, P.Q., Canada; and died 08 October 1712 in Saint-Pierre, Île d'Orleans, Québec, Canada.

 

Guillaume and his wife had a large family and their descendants are scattered throughout Québec and New England.

 

 

M

vii

Pierre Paradis was born 02 October 1647 in Saint-Croix Mortagne-aux-Perche, France; died 05 December 1700 in Saint-Pierre, Île d'Orleans, Québec, Canada. He married Jeanne Millouer on 23 August 1674 in Beauport, Fief au Buisson, Québec, Canada. Their marriage contract was signed on 23 August 1674, before Notarie (Vachon). Jeanne Millouer was born unknown and baptized at Saint-Croix, de Mortagne, France; died 08 October 1712 in Saint-Pierre, Île d'Orléans, P.Q., Canada, where she is also buried.

 

Pierre junior and his wife had a large family and their descendants are scattered throughout Québec and New England. They are the direct ancestors of Mother Marie Leonie, Alodie-Virginia Paradis, foundress of the Little Sisters of the Holy Family; and of His Excellency Monseigneur Paul Gregoire, Archbishop of Montréal.

 

 

M

viii

Jean Paradis  was born 14 November 1650 in Saint-Croix Mortagne-aux-Perche, France; died 26 July 1717 in Saint-Pierre, Île d'Orleans, Québec, Canada. Jean Paradis married (1) Marie-Claude Damizé 1674 in Contract Notarie (Vachon), Québec, Canada; she was born unknown; died before February 1679. Jean Paradis married (2) Jeanne Paquier or Paquet on 05 February 1679 in Charlesbourg, Québec City, Québec, Canada; she was born 1666 in Poitier, Poitou, Vienne, France; and died 15 March 1711 in Charlesbourg, Québec City, Québec, Canada.

 

Jean Paradis and Jeanne Paquet had a large family and their descendants are scattered throughout Québec and New England.

 

 

F

ix

Madeleine Paradis was baptized on 03 August 1653 in Beauport, Fief au Buisson, Québec, Canada; died 1669 in during childbirth with first child. She married Nicolas Roussin on 28 November 1667 in Contract Notarie (Vachon); he was born Unknown; died Unknown.

 

 

F

x

Marie-Madeleine Paradis was born 12 January 12, 1655 in Beauport, Fief au Buisson, Québec, Canada; married Robert Choret on 22 April 22, 1674 in Contract Notarie (Vachon). Robert Choret was born 07 October 1648 in Québec City, Canada; died Unknown.

 

 

M

xi

Jean Paradis

was born July 22, 1658 in Saint-Jean de La Rochelle, Aunis, France; died before 1725 in La Rochelle, France, where he had settled. He married Catherine Batailler on 08 June 1693 in Saint-Jean-du-Perrot de La Rochelle, France. She was born September 4, 1675 in Saint-Jean de La Rochelle, Aunis, France; died Unknown.


Notes for Jean Paradis:
He was a sea captain after about 1700. After studying at the ]esuit college in Québec, Jean Paradis followed the courses given by Martin Boutet, the king's hydrographer, in the same town. In July 1678 he bought for 1,200 livres the two houses of Jean Talon situated in Rue Buade at Québec, and bounded at the back "by the Place d'Armes of the Château Saint-Louis". Louis Rouer de Villeray acted in this instance as proxy for Talon, who had returned to France. There is no doubt that this is the Jean Paradis who commanded the Saint-Anne, which was wrecked on the reefs of the Manicouagan River in the autumn of 1704; the Intendant, Jacques Raudot, ordered the sale of the wreckage of this ship in October 1705. It was also Jean Paradis who, sailing from La Rochelle in 1711 at the helm of the Neptune, was intercepted by Admiral Walker and forced to pilot his ship the Edgar. We know the disaster that resulted for the English Fleet off Île-aux-Oeufs. Some historians have accused the pilot Paradis of treachery on this occasion. Was he really a traitor? He would then have deserved the disdainful remark made by Admiral Walker to Colonel Samuel Vetch: "Thank you for your caution concerning the French Pilot, but I never intended to trust him any farther then I could throw him" [quoted in James C. Neagles, U.S. Military Records: A Guide to Federal and State Sources, p. 395].

When Louis XIV of France attempted to install his grandson on the Spanish throne as Philip V, he encountered resistance from an alliance of English, Austrians, and Dutch who were seeking to avoid the threat of French domination of Europe. The resulting war spread to include conflicts among English and French colonies in North America. French and Indian raids on border towns in northern New England in 1703 led to repeated land and sea expeditions from Massachusetts against Acadia. In 1710, Port Royal was attacked by English troops and surrendered, thus making Acadia British territory. A naval expedition against Québec in 1711 resulted in shipwreck and failure.

Two years later, in 1713, Jean Paradis, captain of the Phenir bound for the West Indies, was recruiting indentured workers for that colony. In 1720 an order issued by Michel Bégon declared right and proper the seizure by Étienne Amiot de Lincourt, one of the guards of the Domaine d'Occident, of spirits smuggled by Jean Paradis, captain of the Généreuse.
 

Jean Paradis died before 1725. He had settled at La Rochelle, where on 8 June 1693 he had married Catherine Batailler, daughter of Pierre Batailler, a deceased sea captain, and of Angélique Roy. They had eight children, one being a son whose first name was also Jean and who was a ship's pilot like his father and his maternal grandfather.

AJQ, Greffe de Remain Becquet, 15 juillet 1678; Greffe de Gilles Rageot, 9 févr. 1688.

 

Juchereau, Annaleb (]amet), 365f.

 

Gabriel Debien, Le peuplemenr des Antilles françaises on XVII siècle. Les engagés partis de La Rochelle (1683-1715). Cairo,1942, 165f.

 

Archange Godbout, "Paradis," SGCF Mèmoires, I (1944), 30-33.

 

Ernest Myrand. M. de la Colombière, orateur: historique d'un sermon célebre prononcé à Notre-Dame de Québec le 5 novembre 1690, à I'occasion de la levée de sieur de cette ville..., suivi des relations officielles de Frontenac, Monseignat et Juchereau de Saint-Ignace. (Montréal, 1898).

 

Ernest Myrand, "Le capitaine Paradis," BRH, IV (1898), 221f.

 

P.-G. Roy, Inv. ord. Int.., 1, 3,191. Walker expedition (Graham).

 

P.-G. Roy, "Qui était le capitaine Paradis," BRH, XLIX (1943), 65-68.
 

Victor Tremblay, "Au sujet du capitaine Paradis," BRH, L (1944), 208f.

 

 

F

xii

Louise Paradis was born 05 August 1661 in Beauport, Fief au Buisson, Québec, Canada; died after 24 September 1713. She was baptized on 07 August 1661, Notre-Dame de Beauport, Fief au Buisson, Québec, Canada. Louise Paradis married (1) Thomas Mezeray (also spelled Tomas Maizeray and Maizerai) on 12 September 1676 in Québec City, Canada; born 05 August 1661 in Notre-Dame de Beauport, Québec; died before 18 June 1691. Louise and Thomas had 4 children, including 2 sons. ILouise Paradis married (2) Hilaire Sureau dit Blondin on 18 June 1691 in Notre-Dame-du-Québec, Québec City, Canada; born Unknown; died before 24 September 1713. Louise Paradis married (3) Jean-Baptiste Jarry (or Barry) on 24 September 1713 in Montréal, P.Q., Canada; born Unknown; died Unknown.

 

Notes for Louise Paradis:
Information about Louise can also be found in Dictionnaire généalogique des familles Paradis du Québec. According to Our French Canadian Ancestors, Volume 6, by Thomas J. LaForest, Louise is the grandmother of Reverend Mother Marie-Anne- Esther Sureau dit Blondin (1809-1890), founder of the Institute of the Sisters of Sainte-Anne. Louise's second husband Hilaire Sureau was the son of Jacques Sureau and of Honorée Pollet, of Saint-Hilaire-de-Vouzailles, Diocese of Poitiers, France. He made his living in Québec as a carriage maker.

         

 

According to Tanguay, some descendents of our ancestor Pierre Paradis adopted the surnames of Aubin, DesRoches, Dufresne and Devide-poche.

 

Pierre Paradis Memorial

 

There is a monument to Pierre Paradis, erected in Saint-Pierre, on the Île d'Orléans, in August 1960, to commemorate approximately the 300th anniversary of Pierre's arrival in New-France. This monument is located on farmland which was once owned by one of Pierre's sons, who was also named Pierre. At this writing, the farm which is located at 1919 Chemin Royal, Saint-Pierre I. 0., is owned by a Leopold Paradis. He operates his 60 acres (24 hectares) as a dairy farm. The following genealogy map and key from the l'Île d 'Orléans website shows the location of the memorial at Number 31 in the northwest top of the island.


 

16

ALLAIRE-DALLAIRE: (Poitou). Monument érigé au 636, route Argentenay à Saint-François

14

LAFLAMME: Voir Quemeneur

20

ASSELIN: (Normandie). Monument érigé au 4013, Chemin Royal à Sainte-Famille

13

LARIVIÈRE: Voir Beaudoin

5

AUDET dit LAPOINTE: (Poitou). Plaque commémorative dans l'église de Saint-Laurent.

1

LECLERC: (Normandie). Monument érigé au 357, chemin Royal à Saint-Pierre

13

BEAUDOIN-LARIVIÈRE: (Charente-Maritime). Monument érigé dans le cimetierre au sud de l'église de Saint-François.

12

LEMELIN: (Eure et Loir). Monument érigé au 345, chemin Royal à Saint-François

15

BONNEAU: (Poitou). Monument érigé au 1125, route Argentenay à Saint-François.

25

LÉTOURNEAU: (Charente-Maritime). Monument érigé au 3660, chemin Royal à Sainte-Famille

10

BLOUIN: (Poitou). Monument érigé au 3190, chemin Royal à Saint-Jean

32

MARANDA: (Charente-Maritime). Monument érigé au 1622, chemin Royal à Saint-Pierre

4

BOUFFARD: (Normandie). Plaque commémorative dans l'église de Saint-Laurent.

23

NADEAU: (Charente). Monument érigé dans le cimetierre au nord-est de l'église Sainte-Famille

9

BROCHU: (Vendée). Monument érigé au 3022, chemin Royal à Saint-Jean

18

OUELLET: (Île de France). Monument érigé au 4739, chemin Royal à Sainte-Famille

35

BUSSIÈRES: (Gironde). Une plaque commémorative a été apposée à l'extérieur, côté ouest, de l'église Saint-Pierre.

31

PARADIS: (Perche). Monument érigé au 1919, chemin Royal, Saint-Pierre

11

CAMPAGNA: (Charente-Maritime). Monument érigé au 454, chemin Royal à Saint-François.

8

PÉPIN-LACHANCE: (Normandie). Plaque commémorative sur la facade de l'église de Saint-Jean

34

CÔTÉ: (Perche). Monument érigé au 1527, chemin Royal à Saint-Pierre

6

POULIOT: (Perche). Plaque commémorative sur la facade du 1506, chemin Royal à Saint-Laurent

16

DALLAIRE: Voir ALLAIRE

28

PRÉMONT: (Normandie). Monument érigé au 3019, chemin Royal à Sainte-Famille

30

DIONNE: Monument érigé au 2242, chemin Royal à Saint-Pierre

14

QUEMENEUR-LAFLAMME: (Bretagne).Monument érigé dans le cimetierre au sud de l'église Saint-François

36

DUMAS: (Charente). Monument érigé au 446, chemin Royal à Saint-Jean

17

RIOU-X: (Bretagne). Monument érigé au 124, chemin Royal, à Saint-François

19

GAGNON: (Perche). Croix et plaque commémorative au 4313, chemin Royal à Sainte-Famille

29

ROBERGE: (Normandie). Monument érigé au 2343, chemin Royal à Saint-Pierre

21

GAULIN: (Perche). Monument érigé au 3935, chemin Royal à Sainte-Famille

7

ROULEAU: (Perche). Monument érigé au 190, chemin Royal à Saint-Laurent

22

GENDRON: (Cher). Monument érigé dans le cimetierre au sud de l'église Sainte-Famille

38

THERRIEN: (Charente-Maritime). Plaque commémorative au 3360, chemin Royal, Saint-Jean

3

GOSSELIN: (Normandie). Plaque apposée sur la roche à Maranda, en face du 3315, chemin Royal à Saint-Laurent

24

THIVIERGE: (Eure et Loir). Monument érigé au 3750, chemin Royal à Sainte-Famille

37

GUILLEMET-TE: (Picardie). Plaque commémorative apposée à la base du monument au Sacré-Coeur, à l'avant de l'église de Saint-Jean

26

TURCOTTE: (Poitou). Monument érigé au 3503, chemin Royal à Sainte-Famille

39

LABREQUE: (Normandie). Sculpture érigée au 2198, chemin royal à Saint-Laurent

27

VAILLANCOURT: (Normandie). Monument érigé dans le cimetierre de l'église de Sainte-Famille

8

LACHANCE: Voir Pépin    

 

Much of the above information was extracted from My Branch of the Paradis Family by Rodolphe Paradis, with a copy of the book located in the American Canadian Genealogical Society, Manchester, NH 03108, reference number FG0115; from Our French Canadian Ancestors - Volume 1, by Thomas J. Laforest and Gerard Lebel, Palm Harbor, FL: LISI Press, 1983, pp. 120-124, ISBN: 0914163019; and from the Ancestors of Horace A. Pedneault website.

 

Other sources:

PARADIS

Dubé, Linda, Éd. Paradis Descendants. 3 volumes, n/d, 1989, 1096 pages.

Grégoire, Jeanne. La source et le Filon. De l'ancêtre Pierre Paradis à la fondatrice des Petites Soeurs de la Sainte-Famille, Mère Léonie. Beauchemin, 1984, 115 pages. Originally published in 1961.

The Paradis family, Newsletter Descendants of Pierre Paradis, Éd., n/d, 1981, 25 pages.


_____________________

 

Return to Parent - Frost Families Organization home page